2015/06/06

keep calm and carry a small makeup bag



Beauty is a big passion of mine which started in high school and truly expanded three years ago. Now I'm totally hooked and I follow way too much beauty blogs, makeup artists and beauty writers. I actually never wrote about beauty on my previous blog (I was all about fashion at that time) but this is about to change. You can be sure to find a lot of beauty related articles here so hopefully you'll like reading them. My approach to beauty is quite minimalist, I either like a smoky eye or a bright lip, but not together. Yes, I'm very French that way. But most of all, I adore skincare and hair products. Hello French pharmacies!

But, let's focus on today's topic: My small makeup bag I carry with me everywhere I go.
I cannot be without it. Every time I forgot it (which is rare), I suddenly need to touch up my makeup and I have to spend the rest of the day in a bad mood with a makeup that is running down my face. Not a pretty sight. Thanks god, it doesn't happen that often when I have everything I need in that tiny bag.


The Bag: Like I just said, it is tiny which is actually good for me otherwise I would bring half of my makeup collection with me. I don't really like shopping for a makeup bag (I'd rather put my money on the products inside), I'm the type of person that love receiving them as gifts from the makeup brands. Same goes for the beach bags, they give them out in Sephora when you purchase some 'summer products' before the holidays. Don't tell me I'm the only one that love the gifted bags? This one is a gift from Chanel that I got when my mom purchased a perfume for Christmas. If you're in Paris, I strongly advise you to go to their store rue Saint Honoré which is entirely dedicated to their beauty range. It's paradise! As regards the bag itself, it's red, simple and really sturdy as I've got it since 6 months now. Most importantly, I can fit a fair number of makeup items in it.

Foundation: The foundation stick - or anything packaged in a stick is probably the best invention for a carry on makeup item. I would never carry a foundation before that because it's way too messy to apply on the go (and I'm not a fan of compact foundations or powders) and can break inside your bag (horror!). I would just hope that my complexion still look decent at the end of the day. Well now, I just can't get enough of my Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick. Oh my goodness, it's so good! I apply it so often that my best friend is always saying "Here we go again!", laughing at my ridiculousness. The texture is buttery which at first scared me because my skin is combination but when applied it is quite matte. The coverage is medium to full which is why the consultant advised me to buy Bobbi Brown Full Coverage Face brush. This brush is not only amazing (blends foundation like no other) but fits perfectly in my tiny bag.

Concealer: Concealer is the one makeup item with mascara I would not leave my house without. I  used to have very bad under eye circles (they're much better now so maybe I can do a post on my eye routine). They were blue-ish and hollow especially during deadlines. I had found a magic duo of products from MAC that covered my huge bags. However, for summer I wanted something a bit more practical, light and easy. I have recently discovered Bobbi Brown well-known Creamy Concealer. One concealer and a fixing powder are compacted in this little product that still delivered a good coverage. It's perfect concealer on the go. Personally, I'm not a fan of the powder, just because I don't like to apply powder with my fingers.

Mascara: I know that most people love drugstores mascara and find stupid buying from a high-end brand. However, I can't seem to find one that isn't too volumizing. I have tried a lot of Maybelline mascaras, for example Volum' Express The Falsies Black Drama mascara which is really nice but too much for me. I like to have well-defined and lengthened  eyelashes and I haven't found a drugstore mascara that competes with my Sublime mascara from Chanel. I am a eye makeup kind of girl so mascara is super important for me. But I am still looking for a cheaper alternative, I have my eyes set on L'OrĂ©al mascaras.

Eyes: For eyes, I pack only one product that is super easy to apply. High-end version (in the picture) : Charlotte Tilbury Classic Powder Pencil in Audrey that I blend out with one finger and delivers the most easy long-lasting soft smokey eye. Drugstore version: the gorgeous Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr in 35 On and on Bronze which is the most beautiful cream eyeshadow and I believe is a dupe for Chanel Illusion d'Ombre in Mirage.

Lipstick: or should I say lipsticks. I usually carry 2-3 lipsticks with me. Only one can fit in my makeup bag which is usually the one I'm wearing that day and then two others are flying around my bag. I always have a day color (currently looking for my summer lipsticks - help needed) and an evening color (Nars Shrinagar is my favourite lipstick, it's a sheer dark pink with a purple undertone).

Perfume Sample: Who didn't freak out when they realized they forgot to put perfume or worse deodorant for the day? Well, I have a few times and I won't fear of smelling bad ever again because this little perfume sample is forever in my makeup bag.

Downside: My bag is too small to carry a blush and let me tell you I am quite fair so that's mean I sometimes look like a ghost. I haven't found a cream blush (no powder blush since it requires a brush - too big for my bag) that isn't too big or heavy. Any recommendations guys?


Hope you like this little overview of my makeup bag on the go. Excuses the bit of high-end makeup in this post, I bought those products sometimes motnhs apart and have finally created my dream kit. Let me know in the comments what you carry in your own makeup bag. :)

Bisous
Marine

Credits: picture by me